Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Nice Family Day - Something I Don't Take for Granted

I have prayed that we would be able to enjoy time together as a family, and we had that happen today.

The morning was lazy as usual, though I did get DB to read to me AND practice his typing program.

Then we went out for lunch -- unusual for us to leave the house so early as noon -- and Husband and I picked the place. Though we did select a place DB would enjoy, it was not his choice.

After that, we went to Home Depot, Stop & Shop, and a liquor store. No arguments, no whining, not even a lot of annoying behaviors. From anyone...

Then again, we did cut them short at the beginning of the trip: About 1 block from our house DB asked me to tell a story -- one of his favorite things to request when he's bored -- and not only did I decline but, when he tried to determine when exactly I MIGHT tell that story he had requested, Husband intervened and said, "Not on this trip, and if you ask again, [appropriate consequence I can't remember]."

A few seconds later DB asked one or both of us "Do you love me?" and, since he asks us that ad nauseum these days, Husband again intervened immediately and said, "Know that we love you, and if you ask again, [another appropriate consequence I can't remember]."

After that, DB didn't ask for a story until we got home, and caught himself every time he asked "Do you love me," which was less than usual. At one time I offered my opinion that he may do that when he's bored, and why not since it's a way to get a positive response -- and I think what I said helped validate him as opposed to merely shut him down.

We also (finally) held our funeral for Skinny, the fish, today. DB said a few words and even a prayer after we buried him, and then we went to the playground which was a good distraction.

His prayer was something like this:

"God, Thank you for Skinny and what a good fish he was and how long he lived. And please let our next fish live even longer.
Skinny, you were a good fish and I miss you. Amen."

1 comment:

Cathy said...

so happy you had a great day! I can appreciate that too--my son can throw huge fits at even the thought of going out to a store. :)