Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How Sick Is Sick Enough to Stay Home?

I almost never know.

DB is generally pretty healthy and when he does get sick, for one thing he hardly complains and for another thing, he's not usually so sick -- like, throwing up or high fever -- that he HAS to stay home.

Yesterday he had a cough, sneezing and a drippy, runny nose, so I decided for everyone's sake to keep him home.

Now, in the past -- meaning 2 years ago, when he was in preschool -- I leapt at the chance for him to stay home. Sniffles? Oh, stay home. He wasn't getting that much from preschool that he couldn't miss day or so here and there. I doubt it was even once a month, but maybe that, at most.

Today, he woke up and announced he was still sick and needed to stay home again, which he does simply because he'd rather be at home than at school. But he does have a raspy voice and then, a hard, sharp cough -- I'd say hacking but that implies productivity and this is pretty dry.

So I decided not to put him on the bus to give myself more time to decide.

Mind you, I put off a few things yesterday, because he was home, that I wanted to get to today. And I read a job listing that so intrigued me that I laid awake for a while last night thinking about what ideas I could bring to the position. I was psyched to work on my resume today so I could apply.

But after an hour or so, when that loud cough continued, and he'd pretty much stayed on the couch, I decided he could stay home for day 2.

He perked up quite a bit today, and whined a lot more for my attention than he did yesterday.

But just because he got bored, does that mean he shouldn't have stayed home? My husband certainly thinks I made the wrong call.

Is it my fault that sick days are harder when both the adults work from home?

*Sigh.*

1 comment:

hokgardner said...

I have a sick 8-year-old at home today. Fortunately, she feels just well enough to entertain the toddler. So maybe I'll get something done.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the nice comment.

I give you the letter P.