Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Church and Autism, Part 2

Anon's comment on my previous Church and Autism post was harsher than necessary (congrats! you're my very first flame!) but did open my eyes a bit. I posted because I was already feeling judged and misunderstood, so your tone did not help with that, but you did raise an issue worth addressing in my heart.

I don't see where in my previous post I say that the rules don't apply to me because my child has autism. In fact, I have always been a frightened rules-follower. But Husband takes a more cavalier approach to life's man-made, small guidelines, which has in fact helped me lead a more enjoyable life in some cases ... and in others, such as this one, puts me in a bit of a bind.

I also think the supervision issue is primarily an insurance/CYA matter; this way the church cannot be held liable for any injuries.

I also probably wrote the situation to sound more black-and-white than it really is. The older kids are only partially supervised in the gym; their parents tend to wander in and then back out (if they come in at all until it's time to leave). DB is on the cusp of needing constant supervision, and since he is a responsible, articulate child, and also not a bully who is ever aggressive toward the other children, we trust him. The two rooms are not so far apart that it's a major problem to get between them. But they are far enough that other than parents, adult flow between them is limited. If we want or need to speak with people who do not have a child in the gym, it can't happen.

The other part of our reason for letting him be there without us is that most other times, I am constantly with DB. And sometimes I would like to be with my husband -- such as when mingling with the people we know at church. The church is too far from our home to participate in many events other than worship, so our primary chance to connect with the community is from 12 to 1 on Sundays, during the coffee hour. (I could go on at length about that whole issue of finding a church closer to home, but won't right now.)

The reason I posted is because I do think something needs to be done. I don't want people to have to bend over backwards to accommodate him. And now there is a pattern of issues -- one thing here and there, I'd be ok. But as I outlined in my post, there now seems to be several areas where his behavior is problematic. This upsets me and I don't have an answer, nor did I find one when I looked around on the web.

In fact, as I've given it more thought, I realize some of these issues are being addressed during the school day as well, so would benefit from follow-up in this structed setting as well.

My one idea: I thought I'd see if any teens/tweens at the church have to do community service for their school, and could log those hours as a "buddy" for DB during the church service and gym time. I can make a list of specific things for them to help him with, including...
  • Don't blurt out the answer during the children's sermon
  • Take a walk during Sunday School if he needs a break so he's not disrupting the other kids
  • Help him understand the nuances of playing superhereo with older kids (If you say, "Let's play superheroes," the villains are going to chase you!)
Anon or anyone else, if you have other suggestions for how I might solve this matter, I welcome the ideas. I would appreciate it, though, if they are presented in the spirit of problem-solving rather than judgementalism.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I wish I had an answer. Most weeks, the Sparker and I go to church and the Firecracker and my husband don't. Although the teachers are great, the classes are just too stressful for him and he acts up. I'm hoping we can all go when the Firecracker's a more stable.

Our church recently did a service just about mental illness, with members standing up and talking about their own experiences with depression, mood disorder, and a few other issues.

It made me feel even more like I was part of the community -- not only did these people what we're going through, but some of them have been there themselves. (I also was amused by how many of us there are or have been mentally ill. We're a church full o' nuts.)