Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Finding Time for God

Last week I truly benefited from doing a devotional early in the morning. I was looking forward to a slightly relaxed morning with plenty of time to read, since I was going to drive DB to school today. I got up at 6 am -- close to the usual time -- expecting to spend 5 minutes making a phone call, take a shower, then spend some time with God.

The phone call(s) took half an hour. (Click link if you want to know why.)

Then, I took my shower, and by the time I was dressed, DB was up.
I got him settled on the couch and went to make his lunch.

I spied yesterday's leftover coffee and poured it into a microwavable pitcher and started heating it.

Then I filled the coffee maker.

Then I had to refill the Brita water pitcher.

Then my leftover coffee was hot so I poured a cup and had to refill the sugar bowl.

I noticed my phone on the counter and put it in my pocket.

That made me think about where my watch was...

And I hadn't yet started packing DB's lunch... or snack... or breakfast!

Of course I also hadn't done my devotional yet either, which made me think of all the things we do instead of spending time with God.

Last week went so well for all of us, I absolutely ascribe it to being grounded by that prayer and reading time. I'm not going to let that habit slip away.

And yes, I've done my reading this morning. I sat down as soon as I got home from driving DB to school.

No comments: