Thursday, February 14, 2008

Learning Love

I'm so proud. On our way to the car this morning, DuckyBoy happily carried his bag full of Valentines for his classmates, and said, "I like giving away Valentines. (long pause, he was clearly thinking about this) It makes me feel...happy."

Eureka! Jackpot! A happy feeling! How do I jump all over this one without scaring the kid???

Me (very calmly,or at least moderately calmly): "That's wonderful, DB. That's what love is! That means you are feeling loving." (I resist from shaking him and saying, "Remember this! Remember this! Burn this into your brain! Loving is what it's all about!!!")

Instead I took a deep breath, and we went back to talking about Donald Duck.

I'm also proud of my budding actor/director ... he did a great job as Goldilocks, and I could also hear him offscreen when the other group of his classmates were performing, saying, "Put the bowls down!" and at another point, "That's not right!" (His group did the play slightly differently-- heaven forbid!!) He also offered to chase after the other Goldilocks when he left the bears' house at the end. Couldn't wait for some screen time, I guess!

Dairy intake update: He was jumping all over his teacher while they sat on the floor as we all watched the video, and he was having some issue with sitting behind S. -- maybe he couldn't see around her, but he kept grabbing a piece of her hair and squeezing it. Not pulling it, just squeezing it really hard. She didn't say anything and the teachers didn't notice so I stayed out of it. But otherwise, that's the only poorer-behavior-than-usual that I've seen so far today ... and the whole situation, watching a video in the library with parents there, was a very out-of-the-ordinary circumstance -- which always makes him a bit out of sorts anyway.

No comments: