Friday, February 15, 2008

Idiot Drivers

Who ARE these idiots who honk at a stopped school bus? I cannot believe how often it happens. And they can SEE the bus, it's not like they're a block away and randomly honking in hopes that whatever is stopping traffic will suddenly move because they honk. Our society is really screwed up if the 30 seconds they must remain stopped for the handicapped-kids bus ruins their schedule, their day, their life.

No, they can see the red flashing lights, and sometimes they honk WHILE the lights are flashing; more often, they lean on the horn the instant the red lights go off and before the driver has put the bus back into gear.

Good thing I'm a charitable Christian woman, otherwise I could talk some trash. (Once in a while, I do, if I know which car honked... one morning, I let my finger do the talking ... not a moment I'm proud of.)

I feel like making a big sign: MY SPECIAL-NEEDS CHILD WHO DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF "HURRY UP" IS GETTING ON THE BUS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Oh and also it should say IF YOU HONKED, DROP DEAD.

Is it possible Queens has so many drivers from other countries (Eastern Europe, Long Island) who are unaware of what a stopped school bus means?

Dairy intake update:
Fairly bad morning getting ready for school. DuckyBoy refused to eat breakfast, even after I reminded him he can't eat at school on Fridays. Refused to wear assembly clothes. (Good thing he's not Citizen of the Month this month -- at least, I don't think he is. They usually tell the 'rents so they can be there.)

Poor kid, he really, really wants Citizen of the Month. He's trying really hard -- and it may be that they really just don't think he's earned it yet. Or they may be making him wait just to see how long he can wait. I wish they wouldn't share that type of stuff with me -- it makes me sad for him when I know he's being manipulated. I know it's for his own good, but isn't school hard enough without them making extra efforts to push his buttons? I suppose that's what this program is supposed to do, help stretch him. But I find it hard to be enthusiastic about it.

Time has so little meaning for him that another month away is an eternity; the principal and one of his teachers have commented about what a good citizen he's being, but for him, another assembly when he doesn't get the award is going to be torture. Can't we try to reward the kid who wants it, as opposed to the kids who don't care that much about it one way or another?

No comments: