Friday, February 8, 2008

Holidaze

DuckyBoy asked me a week or so ago if we would be decorating for or celebrating Chinese New Year. We celebrate just about everything else -- and what we don't, they learn about at school -- so I suppose he thinks, Well, if it's a holiday, I guess we celebrate it! Wonder where Mommy keeps the decorations for this one...

I suppose he'll figure out eventually that we don't celebrate that one at home because, well, we're not Chinese. Kind of a subtle distinction between honoring someone else's holiday and celebrating it yourself -- especially when you're in kindergarten. It's one big party!! (Aside from the homework and the having.your.girlfriend.stolen.away.from.you drama and all that.)

And then this morning he's on to the next one: Wanted to know what we do for St. Patrick's Day. And then came the important part: whether or not he gets that holiday off from school. That's the BEST part about holidays!

Meanwhile, Happy Chinese New Year! DuckyBoy's class celebrated yesterday afternoon -- with paper lanterns, red envelopes full of candy, and I don't even know what-all else. Thanks, M! Sounds like all of Grandma's shopping was a big hit! As were the Starbusts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did he tell you that he ate a sesame seed ball (cookie)? Even before I got to his table he was asking for one. Later he said to me that he loved them. I don't know if he meant it or was just being polite. Either way he was really sweet.