Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Great Weekend So Far

DuckyBoy has been fantastic this weekend. Granted, there's a day left of the 3-day, but wow.

On Saturday he and I attended a planting day at the NY Congregational Home; there were lots of people helping this year (unlike years past when there's been a smattering of folks from our church and no one else), so I didn't feel badly when he skipped from project to project.

Most fun was simply watching a worm we dug up; for a short-attention span kid, it was awesome to sit with him, heads together, and watch the worm crawl around on my (gloved, thank you) hand for 5 minute? 10 minutes? And he was even willing to put it in his (gloved) hand.

He was delighted with worms, and the hard sap he found on a tree, and said something like, "It's like we're on a nature walk!"

Then we attended a party and on our way in I tried someting new: I took a moment to explain to him that I expected to spend most of the time at the party talking with the other adults, and I expected him to play with B. ( a boy about his age who he knows) or on his own (I didn't say, "alone" which is a trigger word for DB...).

And, by golly, he did it! I hardly heard a peep from him! For hours!

Today he wanted to sit in front in church. And I mean, IN FRONT. We could practically see up the minister's nostrils. But DB seemed to like being there, and even entertained himself during the hymn!

Afterwards we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge in honor of its being the bridge's 125th birthday, which is long for him and yes, he complained, but after his dad explained the options (do it without whining and thereby honor God; or do it and whine and make mom and dad mad), he did it.

On the way home, he fell asleep... for more than an hour!

Which makes us wonder ... Is he sick?

No comments: