Friday, March 13, 2009

Eye-Opening

Our bedtime routine
is solid except for
DB's little "needs" --

Mommy-come-backer
(A pretend remote control
that comes in series);

Nightlight and music,
A few stuffed toys in bed too
(these change each night, natch);

Cold water of course,
sometimes even a cold pack
to keep him cooled off;

Socks, we cannot sleep
without socks on our small feet
and the one blanket

He can tolerate
over his sensitive skin.
After that he calms,

Until he wakes up...
middle of the night of course...
usually cold --

which wouldn't happen
if he slept under covers
like most of us do.

A reward chart helps
break the habit of coming
in with mom and dad.

But it's easily
disrupted and the pattern
starts over again.

I never realized
How much better I sleep when
he doesn't wake me.

****
This post is part of a "blog blast" by PBN for Sylvania's new nightlights; and for Haiku Friday as well.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

Great haiku!! I know I definitely sleep better when my little one sleeps through the night!!

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, cute! I remember those days - sleepless was pretty much par for the course.

Tink *~*~* said...

I have enough trouble keeping myself asleep; it would be truly horrendous to put someone else into the mix, keeping me awake as well. Hope you get to sleep in some this weekend!

Happy Friday,
Tink *~*~*

NOW PLAYING at My Mobile Adventures *~*~* :
March winds on the Sanibel Island Causeway

Gift of Green said...

It has been even tougher with the clocks springing forward. Very timely haiku!