Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Weight Loss Update

On Friday I posted about Husband and I are trying to lose weight by making different food choices, in a way that's sustainable to eat going forward.

We have done Weight Watchers and Atkins and even The Zone in the past, all with some success, but the problem has been that, like so many others, the weight bounces right back. So this time, after conversations with Gregory Anne Cox and getting her free 7-day ecourse, I'm trying to do it right and change the way we eat in a sustainable way. Finding out that she loves food and doesn’t believe in depriving ourselves to lose weight really helped.
I'm learning to turn off that judgmental voice in my head that says, "Good food, bad food" and allow myself to use my intelligence to make a good choice.

Husband and I are really enjoying what we eat and, surprising to us, not missing what we’re not eating, which is lots and lots of carbs. We’ve done Atkins in the past so we knew we could live without the carbs, but this is different because we’re not trying to follow some strict regime for a period of time (or amount of weight ) -- we’re just choosing different foods for the plate. And choosing what sounds good, rather than whatever will get us through to the “next pound down.”

A few M-and-Ms don't hurt me. A piece of spinach pie, yes even with the flaky crust, won't blow it (like it would on Atkins). But you know what? I don't feel as good this morning after eating that flaky crust. Next time I may just go with the Greek salad.

If you told me I'd go to a late-night diner with my friends and NOT get a cheeseburger, or anything with fries, I'd have laughed. But I truly enjoyed the choice I made, knowing that the burger-and-fries would make me feel not-good today.

This morning I’m down a total of 7 pounds, and Husband is down 10. And the main thing we’re doing is picking different foods … it's nothing short of a miracle.

I do notice we need more sleep, though. No joke. Gregory Anne mentions sleep in her email course, and I thought, "yeah, yeah, we all need more sleep." But this is like, "I MUST GO BACK TO BED," my body is Not.Taking.No.For.An.Answer type of need for more sleep. If I don't get 8 hours I can't function. 8 and a half is better.

Seems worth the trade-off: Body feels better when I'm up; clothes fit better; little more energy (I'm still out of shape but I'm willing to run with DuckyBoy now, every time he asks, at least until I'm out of breath); in exchange I need to sleep more? Ok.

1 comment:

Stacia said...

Wow, congrats! (And could you sleep a little extra for me, too, while you're at it?) =>