Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiku Friday, Pound by Pound

Haiku Friday

Haiku time again,
but a slimmer me writes it ...
we're eating better

I record each bite
on the fitday dot com site
picked it 'cause it's free ...

scale's needle moves to
the left ever so slightly
inching its way down

I feel the diff'rence
when I sit to drive the car...
there's less tummy there.

No big diet we're following, just trying to eat fewer carbs, plenty of fat, and enough protein and veggies to keep from being starving. It's been a week, and so far I'm down 3 and a half pounds, first week is always a big drop then my body adjusts, but, I'll take it!

A big part is having done some reading and talking with one of our website clients, Gregory Anne Cox, a really cool lady (and I don't use "lady" for just any woman) who knows and loves food and also knows how to help women past their, um, 30s lose weight.

She talks about the different kinds of carbs, and about fat, and the importance of enjoying what you eat and making it a lifestyle, rather than a quick weight-loss and then revert to my old ways (which is what happened a few years ago when Husband and I did the Zone diet, with 3 meals delivered to our door each day. We lost weight, but hadn't relearned how to eat right).

It's eye-opening to input everything -- especially the 2 spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee each morning. Now, when I'm onto the 3rd cup, I've got a decision to make -- are those carbs going to be worth it?? I get to make the choice, though -- I'm not tied to a number of points or boxes -- so I choose to drink a third cup black (on those days when I need a 3rd cup).

I enjoy adding up what I've eaten, but I'm doing it to get the trend, not to nitpick. So far, so good.

Would you like to haiku today? To participate in Haiku Friday, just follow these steps:

1. Write your own haiku on your blog. You can do one or many, all following a theme or just random. It or they can be part or all of your post, but your post must include a haiku. What's a haiku, you ask? Hint: 3 lines, and count syllables, 5-7-5. The best haiku evoke a feeling of place or emotion. (Unlike mine which are often factual.) More info: Click here. Or here.

2. Sign the Mister Linky below with your name and the link to your haiku post (the specific post URL, not your main blog URL). Don't sign unless you have a haiku this week. If you need help with this, please let me know.

3. Please leave a comment after linking, thanks! (Eventually the Mr Linky links go away, I think, so they only way we'll find you in the future is via your comment.)

4. if you'd like, pick up a Haiku Friday button to display on the post or in your sidebar by clicking the button at the top of this post.

REMEMBER: Do not post your link unless you have a haiku this week.


5 comments:

storyteller said...

Congratulations on your progress. Seems like you've found a program that works for you ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

Mary (MPJ) said...

Congratulations! I said this was going to be my "Year of Health," but so far I've been, ahem, easing into it. ;) I will try to start over next week!

Suburban Girl said...

Just started the same thing...and I gave up my addiction to chocolate. Last night when we went out my daughter had a chocolate mousse for dessert and I resisted. BIG step. Good luck!

Stacia said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for hosting Haiku Friday!

Gregory Anne Cox said...

Hey jan,

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and glad I could be a wee part of the process. It's noteworthy though that you took your commitment to the next level with recording your food, bringing awareness to what you are doing etc.
Keep us posted and I'd love to hear if you feel differently energy wise or any other wise outside of how the jeans feel.