Monday, March 3, 2008

Dr Seuss Day

Today parents were invited to come into DuckyBoy's school and read Dr. Seuss books to the students, in as many classes as you felt comfortable with (15-minute increments, up to 4 classes).

Now, I really like to read, so I went. I should simply feel like did a good thing. yet I still feel like I shoulda done better (as my coach likes to say, "We're shoulding on ourselves again...") *Sigh.*

I just wish I wasn't the first reader in DuckyBoy's class. I would have picked a different, shorter book. I didn't know what to expect! For the second class I read to, I picked a shorter book and there was more time for discussion. I read that same shorter book to class #3 and they liked it so much they wanted an encore! (Their teacher said no.)

I also wish I'd known I could bring in my own books instead of having to choose from the ones left in the library by the time I got there. Or even that I could choose one in each classroom.

I get so ashamed that Someone will find out I don't know, that I just pick something and do something and it's not always the best choice.

I did last week try to ask who picked the books, but didn't get an answer. I only asked one person though. I could have taken in books and simply not read them if the books were preselected, but I was embarrassed. They might laugh at me if I do it wrong.

I think I have unresolved shame issues with school, don't you?

I had a good time. I just wish I could do it over again. I hate when I feel this so strongly over an issue so small. I hope DuckyBoy enjoyed having me there. He seemed to enjoy the book I read -- in fact he seemed more into it than his classmates -- so it's probably fine. I hope I do alright at not letting how I feel about the way the morning went color how he feels about it -- after all, it's not even about me, it's about him.

Updated to add: DuckyBoy did enjoy having me there. He told me as he got off the bus (always an interesting indication of what's on his mind, as he's been sitting and staring for about an hour), "You were the first reader in our room." Hopefully he meant that as a good thing, haha -- it seemed so.

He also remembered the part of the book I read that reminded him (us) of another Dr. Seuss book. The one I read, Scrambled Eggs Super!, had one page where the name of the creature rhymes with where it lives and another critter lives in almost the same place with a different name and it's hard to tell them apart --the Chiffs live on cliffs and the Chags live on crags, something like that. It reminded him of a page in one of the Dr Seuss books we own wherein a similar problem occurs. It's that "making connections thing."

No comments: