Thursday, July 3, 2008

Is Tired Legs a Symptom of ASD?

DuckyBoy is sooo tired these days. Three days of half-day "camp" and he's exhausted?

"My legs huuuuurt!" he whined when I told him we'd be going for a walk late this afternoon.

"Why?" he, of course, wanted to know.

So we can buy salmon for my dinner, was my reply. How shocking! Nothing to do with him?! Big step for me.

I can see if M [his sitter/abuela in the building] is available, I offered.

A few minutes later he said, "I don't want to go for a walk, and I don't want to stay with M." Which I thought showed a lot of clarity on his part.

Nevertheless I simply said, Sometimes it's hard to be a kid.

A few minutes later, off we went. He survived. Even got a kick out of looking at all the fish in the fish store, which turned out to be an interesting place to go.

He tolerated my NOT buying the cutesy toy at the cutesy home store we popped into ("for the air conditioning," he said) on the way back and even picked out something for Grandma.

I really pushed it then-- amazing how such a little thing feels like such a win --and we stopped in a THIRD store for some coffee creamer. (Welcome to city living: We are picky AND there is no single store that carries everything we like.) He spied some old-fashioned-style hot dog buns (the kind with squarish corners), which I consented to buy. They're whole-wheat, after all. And I had enough cash.

Surprise surprise, he had enough energy for the playground on the way home. And tolerated NOT being carried home after he got off the swing, and even after he got more wet than he wanted to get in the sprinkler, which is when he reeeeally wanted to be carried.

All in all, a nice walk. We clearly need more of them. Like, daily.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Very nice! I know all too well how frustrating it can be when you just need to run some errands, and your traveling companion doesn't want to come. I'm glad it worked out so well.