Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chicken and Sweet Potatoes: Delicious Recipe

I found this recipe on the back of a carton of Swanson Chicken Broth. It appealed to me primarily because I had most of the ingredients -- a couple of sweet potatoes that needed to be used, part of a carton of broth, and the spices. I never cook meat on the stovetop -- I either Foreman-Grill it or bake it -- but this sounded too good not to try. And it was soooo good!

I altered the amounts a little bit based on what I had and it was fine.

Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
  • 1 TB oil
  • 4-5 chicken pieces*
  • 1 c broth (using more will give you a nice little broth to pour over the meat)
  • 1 TB garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. rosemary
  • 1/4 tsp. thyme
  • 1 or 2 sweet potatoes, cut in half-inch pieces
  • 1 or 2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (leave whole if you prefer)
1. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 10 mins or until it's well-browned on both sides. Remove chicken and set aside.

2. Increase heat to high. Stir broth, garlic, romsemary, thyme, potatoes, and green beans into skillet. Heat to a boil and cook 5 mins.

3. Return chicken to skillet and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 12 mins or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender.


* I used 5 bone-in thighs; the original called for 4 boneless breasts. I also used pieces with the skin on, and the skin stuck to the bottom of the pan and came away from the meat, so the top of my meat wasn't browned. But we had some awesome cracklins for an appetizer!!

1 comment:

sisagain said...

that sounds wonderful-gonna try it--I know our herbs will be the same!