Monday, September 29, 2008

Song for My Son

I started writing this for a songwriting contest. The deadline has passed, and I wasn't impressed with this as a song. But I like it as a poem.

I wish you’d know
How much I love you.
I wish I could see
Into the future
And know how you think of me
When I’m not here.

Will you look back and smile
And remember the love
In each lunchbox note
And each kiss and each midnight hug

Or will you remember
The times I said no,
The times I was too tired to read one more book,
The times I had to take care of myself?

You don’t think the way other people do
You see connections we don’t see

You also see connections that aren’t there
Like when we laugh and you think we’re laughing at you

So I’m afraid you’ll remember the wrong things
I do as much as I can of the right things
And hope you feel it in your heart.

No comments: