Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer's Coming

I'm getting a little worried about what to do with DuckyBoy during the half-days after summer school, and during the span after summer school is done.

I tend toward the easy option, which is staying home, thinking we'll do so many fun!! things, like make crafts, cook together, go to the park.

What usually happens, at least on single days off, is he spends half the day watching TV and the other half playing on the computer, and when I finally try to drag him outside he gives me hard time and it hardly seems worth it.

I think I should plan something specific, either at-home or out, for each specific day. Not really my style, only because then I get too rigid and feel all " We Must Do This Today. It's On The Schedule," but I think that'll help me.

So far I have the NY Hall of Science, Long Island Children's Museum, Queens Botanical Garden, and finding a particular coffee shop in Bed-Sty (the owner spoke at my Business Plan Class graduation), where I assume we'll drive past a playground at some point as well. And then there's the new swimming center in Corona Park. Indoor so we won't get sunburned, yeah! And my friend M says it's clean, thanks for checking it out!!

And the beach would be a good trip, too, out to Jones Beach or Robert Moses. Especially on a weekday, when the crowd will be lighter. Maybe we can get somebody to come with us.

Last summer we took one of those bus-around-the-city tours, DuckyBoy was excited about the trolley. There's also a bus that goes in the water for part of the route; maybe I'll do that with him this year. That reminds me of the Police Museum downtown, I've always wanted to go there. That could work on a Tuesday afternoon before we check out the song time, then game time, for the kids in the evenings at our Brooklyn church. (Gotta make that commute count!)

Good thing I'm writing these things down; otherwise, I tend to do none of them. And I'd better set a budget for summer activities, as some of these ideas are going to add up, especially when we factor in DuckyBoy's love of gift shops.

Now, on to vacation plans ... Since we didn't get the beach club this year, we'd like to spend a few weekends away from home. Guess who's in charge of planning those, or at least coming up with the ideas? Yes, moi.

And I like to do it, since I like to travel. But I have to fight my tendency to inaction, especially when it comes to planning activities that I know are going to cost money. If everything was free, I'd be all over, well, everything! I guess I can start with our budget, we're thinking 3 grand since that's what the beach club would have cost.

Can I plan 3 weekends for 3 grand, or only 2? I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Good luck! I'm facing the same issue. We're going to Vermont for a week, and the Firecracker has a month of summer camp (afternoons only), but other than that...