Thursday, June 3, 2010

Taping Together a Plastic Bucket

I've just spent an evening (ok, half an hour) taping the pieces of a cheap plastic bucket back together after said bucket, filled with water, was dropped and broke at the park.

Oh, the weeping and gnashing of teeth!!

Part of me is about ready to gently say, "You know, some things just can't be fixed," and the rest of me wants him to come to that conclusion on his own. I don't know which is gentler.

For DuckyBoy, it's usually better for him to reach a conclusion on his own.

Especially when it's a personalized bucket.

The other day as I was walking him downstairs to get on the bus, he said, "I don't feel like talking again today." We went back and forth a few moments and he said,. "It's hard to get in trouble when you just don't say anything." Then he added, "I did talk a little bit, I answered questions."

Can I tell you, we were overjoyed! how many years have we been telling him some version of, "Just don't say anything!"

He even said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Geez Louise, he HEARD ME! Or, heard somebody, anyway.

No comments: