Saturday, April 18, 2009

Boys and Their Dogs


This is my uncle, on the left, and his big brother,
my Dad, with two of their huntin' dogs. (There
is no "g" in "huntin dawg.") Looks like
a Jack Russell and a bloodhound to me; guess
the Beagle Era came later.

It's probably around 1935, that would make my
dad around 10 in this photo. I think they're by
the side of their house in McKean, but they
could be anywhere -- their Uncle's, their
grandparents', and I wouldn't know.

I wonder if each dog belonged to each boy,
or if each was his favorite. I know Grandpa
usually had multiple dogs at a time. I've
never seen another Jack Russell in any of their photos.

Now that I look at it, this photo says a lot
about their personalities. Laine is so
lovingly holding and engaged with the dog
he has, while John is much more focused.
A gentle, caring arm around the dog,
but nowhere near the same joy.

No comments: