Thursday, August 27, 2009

Haiku Friday: Dreaming of Kid-Free Days

Haiku Friday


"Mommy ... Mommy ... Mom..."
How can one child bug me so?
I am school-ready!

Seventh birthday first,
one week away from today --
too tired to plan!

Love to hear him laugh,
and he's been a real trouper
on lots of long walks.

But -- I can hardly
think straight all day long with the
TV-buzz background.

Need some quiet time
so I can think about life
and what to do next.

I am so ready for school to start. DuckyBoy is too, I think. We've been into Manhattan, around our neighborhood, and he's watched a wide variety of Transformers videos (from the cartoon series to toy demos on YouTube) for about as much as any human can stand.

I'd like to make sure we get all those little "We'll do this in the summertime" things done, like visit Governors Island and ride the "NYC Ducks" land/water tour, in the next couple of weeks. But frankly, by the time I get him into bed, it's all I can do to pick which DVR'd show to watch.

As a loyal member of Bossy's Poverty Party, I've been buying school supplies on sale all summer long, so I don't have a big expense for that. And DB's all set for clothes, I think.

We've even set a budget for his party and gifts that should be easy to abide by. But making the mental effort to find what he wants, which is only available online, and order it without feeling ripped off? Exhausting!

Would you like to haiku today? To participate in Haiku Friday, just follow these steps:

1. Write your own haiku on your blog. You can do one or many, all following a theme or just random. It or they can be part or all of your post, but your post must include a haiku. What's a haiku, you ask? Hint: 5-7-5. More info: Click here. Or here.

2. Sign the Mister Linky below with your name and the link to your haiku post (the specific post URL, not your main blog URL). DON'T sign unless you have a haiku this week. If you need help with this, please let me know.

3. Please leave a comment after linking, thanks! (Eventually the Mr Linky links go away, I think, so they only way we'll find you in the future is via your comment.)

4. Pick up a Haiku Friday button to display on the post or in your sidebar by clicking the button at the top of this post.

REMEMBER: Do not post your link unless you have a haiku this week! I will carry on the esteemed tradition of deleting any links without haiku!

4 comments:

Tink *~*~* said...

First, thanks for hosting again.
Second, I have so much respect for parents these days. It's SO massively expensive to raise kids. I don't know how you do it. While my house was being built, I lived with my brother and his family for a while. It seemed like the kid came home every day with some request from the school for money to cover this and that. Nickel and diming all year! Like I said, I don't know how you do it!

Tink *~*~*
Solace in Japan at EPCOT

storyteller said...

Lovely 'ku ... I'm sure many parents identify about now and, of course, life IS about 'balance' after all. We can't give to others what we don't have ourselves and quiet time is essential ;--)
Thanks again for hosting. I published a Haiku Sky Watch Friday last night at Happily Retired Gal and am in the process of creating another at Sacred Ruminations though I may need to finish AFTER my morning swim.
Hugs and blessings,

Janice said...

Light week this week! I posted DuckyBoy's haiku, we wrote it together -- he's very verbal but he's not THAT precocious.

Mariposa said...

Thanks for hosting...sorry I'm late but had to visit a friend at the hospital and WiFi did not work there for whatever reason...

I enjoyed your 'Ku!