Monday, August 11, 2008

Too Many Little Purple Potatoes

Last week's veggie co-op included 2 lbs of potatoes (actually 4 but our half was 2), most of which were tiny and purple.

Now, I love me my purple potato chips as much as the next urban woman with too much disposable income, but this was the real deal. Now I know why that bag of chips costs so much -- these suckers were about as big as big cherry tomatoes, and EACH one of them had to have bad spots cut out (OK, that's where the organic part of the farm shows itself).

I felt like I was carving pebbles.

As I was scraping some, peeling some, and digging at each little purple stone, I questioned the sanity of putting in that amount of effort for an unknown payoff. Are they really going to be 5 to 10 times better tasting than the small red potatoes from last week, that were easy to clean and delicious?

So since I am big on metaphors, I looked for one here. Where's my Staples button because THAT was easy... I have waaaay to many little purple organic potatoes cluttering up my life.

Little tiny things that I didn't ask for, that take up too much time, for questionable payoff.

And the trouble is, I don't always recognize them. Until I've wasted a lot of time on them, anyway.

Meanwhile, I let 5 beautiful, organic, crunchy carrots from the week before go soft in the fridge. I am sick to my core for that -- no excuse to let such good produce go to waste. Now, I am not going to continue to beat myself up for it (as I would have in the past), but it does upset me. I thought I'd get to them, I just never did.
*Sigh.*

No comments: