Friday, August 8, 2008

Friends & French Fries

Wow, I haven't blogged in a week!? Summer vacation -- with no summer school session -- will do that, I guess! Plus a self-imposed deadline for the book I'm helping DH with. Plus a rubber duck race and a trip to NJ to see friends!

Thank goodness for Haiku Friday, keeping me honest. I wrote this one while DuckyBoy actually played with another kid -- that's always worth the hourlong drive to Jersey, let me tell ya!! -- and the other mom was outside watching her younger son in the kiddie pool, since he was sleeping when DB and her daughter went in earlier. Two kids under age 5, I don't envy her that! But her cooking skills, and her ability to lose weight and keep it off for a year -- those things I envy.

I digress. Ahem [making that throat-clearing noise]...

In BK drive-thru
I had a surprising thought
about what I eat:

Turns out that I don't
Need french fries to be happy.
Now how about that?


NYC now requires fast-food chains to list calorie counts on their menus. It's been eye-opening to say the least, and it has, I hope, changed my choices for the better. Burger King has a veggie burger that's not half bad, and their new apple fries are good too (if you leave off the caramel dipping sauce, which I didn't try since it has milk in it). Today when DB and I went through the drive thru, I realized I wasn't really hungry enough to get fries, so ... drumroll, please ... I didn't. I just got the veggie burger and a small soda.

Sounds like such a little thing, right? But I've gotten so conditioned to ordering a side of fries -- or a side of something, anyway -- that I give myself points for breaking out of the rut.

No comments: