Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I Do Care About The Earth

I decided to participate in one of my first blog "things," which is Blog Action Day on the subject of Global Warming.

It's amazing how organized the, uh, organizers are, suggesting angles and topics to write about, tips to give, links to more reading. SOme of the links I'm too scared by the thought of globals warming's effects to even click trhough to, but others -- like a Scientific American post from late 2007 on "10 Solutions for Climate Change" are more my speed.

I like the idea of the site Kids V. Global Warming also, though it'll be a tough sell right now to DuckyBoy that one of the things you can do is things like have less stuff and use less electronic media! The boy on the home page is like a teen, so maybe I should just give him a few years. But keep preaching now.

The idea behind 350.org is also intriguing, but the more I consider participating in this type of Blogger preaching, the more hypocritical I feel.

I drive almost everywhere.
I have an apartment much bigger than I need.
I leave my computer on overnight.
I fill the bathtub with hot water for DB's baths (though they're not as frequent as they once were...).
I throw food out uneaten (but only when it goes bad before I get to it or after I forget about it).
I eat at fast-food restaurants.
I buy prepackaged, processed foods.
I wash my hair with chemicals that go down the drain.
I forgot to turn my lights off for Earth hour.

Well, that's enough "true confession" for now (which by the way is something we strongly advise our clients not to do!).

I also recycle.
I return my cans and bottles (or try to toss 'em where someone else can).
I reuse lots of old stuff for fun with DuckyBoy.
My consumption of new clothes and shoes, and accessories for self and home, is way below the American average.
I buy used.
I resell or give away instead of tossing things out.
I turn out lights.
We keep our radiator knobs off so our apartment's not too hot and hopefully the people at the edgse of the building can get enough heat.
I wash my hair less often now that it's long.
I eat the carbohydrates in the fridge instead of throwing them out, because good food shouldn't be wasted.
I try to teach DuckyBoy why these things matter to me.

OK, I feel a little better now! I think it's time to turn off the computer, and get in bed.

No comments: