Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Great Tomato Soup Saga of 2009


Yesterday for lunch DuckyBoy acquiesced to eating tomato soup with Goldfish crackers and some cheesy munchie mix.

We began with the tomato soup mug about half-full, because I know he never eats too much of the soup itself.

He ate most of the crackers and a tiny bit of soup and then announced he was full.

I let him take a break, then told him he had to finish the soup.

Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth that ensued!

I put it in the subway-map mug. It was full but it's much smaller, so it looked like less.

Relieved that it was less than he thought, he agreed to eat/drink more while I read to him.

The book finished, he'd had the rest of the crackers and about a third of what was in the subway cup.

"Fuulllllllllll!" he complained.

As much for me as for him, I proceeded to pour the remaining soup into a measuring cup. It was a measly quarter-cup of soup. I was not going to feel guilty about making my kid have a quarter-cup of soup That I Know He Likes.

I put my foot down: We were not going to go outside, or play (both of which he wanted to do) until that soup was gone.

Now, I never do this. Many other people do, I know, it's not a new concept to make your children clean their plates, but I tend to be more laissez faire -- when he's hungry he cleans his plate, when he's not he doesn't.

But this is ridiculous -- he agrees to soup and drinks a tablespoonful?!

So it was a real OK Corrall-style standoff. After a few moments of his fussing I finally said, "You can eat this soup or go to your room!"

Oh, that was NOT what he wanted to hear! He went in and out of his room a couple of times, then --surprise, surprise! -- managed to drink the rest of the soup.

I think the novelty of having it from the measuring cup helped.

But good grief! It takes a cabinetful of cups to feed a child ...

1 comment:

hokgardner said...

Moving the soup to increasingly smaller cups was brilliant.

And my father used to have one of those same Campbell's soup mugs. It shattered years ago.

And when I ordered my son's cake for his first birthday, I spelled his name for the baker at the chi-chi bakery three times before giving up and saying, "It's spelled just like Campbell's soup." Turns out that baker must use generic soup because the cake said "Happy Birthday Cambell" - I was so mad.