Saturday, April 26, 2008

Teaching DuckyBoy

Yesterday was host to a couple of little-yet-big conversations.

On the way out the door, for some reason DB asked me if one of his friends was Christian. I said no, and he said, “So she doesn’t believe in God?”

I said, Well, I think her parents were raised going to church, so they may believe in God, but I don’t know what they tell X. And then, because I know how deeply he listens sometimes, I went on, They may believe in God but not church.

Now, this whole conversation is in the hallway of our apartment building as we’re heading out to the playground, which I find funny for some reason…

Anyway, I said, Sometimes people in church are mean to each other, just like not in church. But the thing is, it’s worse when people in church are mean, because there they are in church learning all about love and caring for each other! And I left him with that. Because I just don’t know what he’ll remember or what he’ll do, what God’s plan are for him someday.

Then at the playground DB was pushing past some teenagers to get to the rings; I was like, Dude, you gotta be nice to the bigger kids, otherwise when you get big enough, they’ll remember you as the annoying twerp and beat you up! So, I know he takes me literally and I want to give him helpful advice, so I said: If you’re going to be bossy, you’ve got to be one of two things: fast, or funny. Of course, he asked why, so I explained. He picked fast, then decided he wanted to be both – he’s going to tell them jokes AS he runs away!! For the age of 5, I’m satisfied.

No comments: