Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Taking a Risk on Jury Duty

So, you know that person who rolls in an hour late when you've already been sitting in the jury room for an hour? Well, today that was me.

I'm usually the person there on time, listening to all the instructions, etc, etc.

But today was the first day of school. (I can hardly believe DuckyBoy's in 3rd grade!)

So, I took him to school around 8:15, drove back to Forest Hills, parked the car in our usual spot and walked over to the courthouse. I was proud of myself for not rushing! It was around 9 when I arrived. I went in and had no idea what was going on. So I sat down and read my book. (The funny part is, people kept coming in after me and asking me what was going on!)

The clerks called people by row "if you have questions," so I stayed seated. Finally one clerk said, "Anyone who still has a summons, come up now. Last chance."

So, all by my lonesome, up I went. And it was fine.

Most of the folks got sent to another jury room, but about 2 dozen of us were left behind for an hour or so -- at which time the clerk returned and announced we had fulfilled our obligation and were being sent home. YESS!!

I was going to leave at 2 pm anyway to get DB, even if I had to sneak out a bathroom window ... so it all worked out fine. I even had time to get groceries and eat lunch before going to get DB.

And it seems like his first day was fine. He's sooo happy with one of his teachers that he knows a little bit from last year, and I've heard nothing but great things about the other teacher from several moms. He has informed me that it's going to be a "pack my lunch" school year. As he would say, What-ev-er!

1 comment:

hokgardner said...

I have always wanted to serve on a jury, but I've never been picked. Perhaps it's because I sit in the front row, waving my hand in the air frantically and yelling, "Pick me! Pick me!"