Thursday, April 15, 2010

Family Lemonade Stand

DuckyBoy has asked at least once a year for the past couple of years to have a lemonade stand.

I think it's adorable when kids do that, and would love to see him increase both his social and business acumen from this type of endeavor, but...

I'm really shy about stuff like this. And he's not old enough to do it himself.

This year, I hit upon the bright idea of "We have to ask Dad if he'll do it with you!"

So last night, when we got home from school, after DB asked me in the car if it was a nice enough night for a lemonade stand, he asked his dad so nicely that Husband said yes. And then, because it's not like I have something more important to do, I said I'd come along.

And it worked out great!

Dad gave DB pointers on when to make his sales pitch, what to say when they decline ("have a nice day) and the right tones of voice. A cop even stopped his car and bought a cup.

It was awesome, I couldn't have helped him with ANY of that because I can't get past my own self standing there waiting to get rejected.

I dug up the dirt in the flower boxes while my salesmen did their thing.

Oh, and another best part? DB wants to donate the money to the people of Haiti. (Previously he's wanted to keep the cash. This time he decided in advance he wanted to donate it.) Awesome!

Here's his sign, which I didn't help him with at all. It says:

All of your funds will go to the people in Haiti


LEM[o]EN-
ADE


(There is also a dollar bill with a glass of lemonade in place of a president, and another refreshing glass of lemonade at the bottom of the poster.)

4 comments:

hokgardner said...

You should look into Lemonade Day - http://www.lemonadeday.org/. It's specifically meant to get kids interested in building their own businesses. We did it last year with the kids, and it was a blast.

Janice said...

Lemonade Day sounds perfect for us! May 2 is right around the corner ...

Stacia said...

I definitely would have stopped for a refreshing glass of lem[o]en-ade. This is wonderful!

Mary (MPJ) said...

That's awesome! I love his enthusiasm! :)