Friday, March 5, 2010

Haiku Friday: Memories Lost, Memories Made

Haiku Friday

What's Alzheimers like?
amnesia or swiss cheese, holes
in your memory ...

Eyes search for meaning:
I think that I should know you,
but I don't know why

Connections won't come
every day is new, yet not
what day is it now?

What day is it now?
Did I just put these clothes on...
(no, it's been a week.)


My dad has had Alzheimers/dementia for several years now. My brother, God bless him, took him into his home and has cared for him, even though Dad has been ornery and stubborn. (Amazing how some of the personality doesn't go away...)

Currently Dad is in a nursing home for rehab after a stint in hospital, but he is uncooperative with the physical therapies they are trying, so it is coming to a head whether he needs to stay there permanently -- in which case, the home would like to be paid full-rate instead of the medicare post-hospital stipend for dealing with the ornery old man.

His father, Grandpa Wright, developed the same thing and we kept him at home as long as we could, with someone coming in to check on him and cook for him every day. When at last he had to enter a home, he never spoke ... or, I think, smiled ... again.

Ironically, one of the most important goals Dad had for his life was "not to end up like my father." He swore (sometimes literally...) up and down that he would keep his brain active, he'd never retire (the dastardly act to which he accounted Grandpa's mental decline), he was a stronger man by far.

Yet here he is. Not stronger than genetics. I'm just glad he doesn't know.

Well now, isn't that a cheery thing to end on! Sheesh!

How about a more-fun haiku to lift the mood. I'm trying reeeeally hard not to write another snow-theme haiku, but it is snowing again a little bit. Come on, brain, focus......

Oh, it's no use, I can't think of another haiku. I've got waffles on the brain ... we're going to a diner shortly!

But here's a fun snowman who was at the playground next to our house. We didn't build him, but that is DuckyBoy in the pic for size comparison. I had to sneak it so it's his back, sorry. He only wanted his Puffle in the picture, so when he was placing it I snapped this.

Want to play along on Haiku Friday? You know what to do: Write haiku, any theme. Put the post url into Mister Linky here, then please leave a comment after linking.

And be sure to have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Stacia said...

Alzheimer's is a raw, tough deal. "I'm just glad he doesn't know": Yes, thank sweet mercy.

PS: I like your new header. Gorgeous art.

Janice said...

Thanks, Stacia! I guess I do love snow -- snow haiku, snow header...

sisagain said...

Sad to lose our dad
once to divorce now to this
it was so sweet to be young

Father never knew
how his acts created pain
left us in sorrow

Siblings without strings
they would bind us but they're gone
we love without them

Far-flung as we are
much love still remains for him
Lord, let him know soon

Janice said...

That's beautiful, sis ... so I am not the only poet in the family!!

happily retired gal said...

Your haiku brings back memories of my grandfather (who left us via Alzheimer's before anyone knew what it was) and a good friend's DECADES of care for her husband with the condition before he died a few years back. Your sister is quite the poet too ;-)
Hugs and blessings to all of you,

Maude Lynn said...

Alzheimers is so hard!