Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Princesses on the Brain

After we filled in as much of our Transformers alphabet as we could last weekend, DuckyBoy told me I had to write my own "Alphabet of Princesses" since I am the girl.

At first I thought, There aren't that many Disney princesses yet... but then I thought, It's not such a bad idea. The Disney helpless lasses could be mixed in a book with real-life strong women, like Queen Elizabeth (both of 'em) and Princess Di, who had a fairy-tale life to some extent but found strength to follow her own pursuits.

My approach to learning is to meet the kids where they're at -- DB and I have been translating Bible stories into Transformer stories lately, and boy did the Good Samaritan rock his world!) -- so it might give the K and 1st grade girls something a little more substantial to read, a little non-fiction princess action!

Then a few days ago I got a Tweet from @AmandaSteinberg with a USA Today blog post called "The Princess Problem," talking about how too much Princess might, and this is just one blogger's opinion now, and I'm paraphrasing, make young women more passive about our lives instead of expecting to take charge of our own destiny.

Interesting. I think a non-fiction, easy-reader book could help with that! (Am I writing a blog post here or a query?)

Plus all the little-girl modern princesses could be mentioned too, 'cause it's kinda neat that there still are princesses in the world.

Anybody have a favorite historical princess they'd like featured?

2 comments:

hokgardner said...

Queen Elizabeth I. As a princess she found herself disinherited and declared a bastard and thrown in the Tower for good measure. Yet she stuck to her guns and her faith and ended up being a strong ruler not reliant on men.

Janice said...

Thanks, Hokgardner! I could probably cut-and-paste your comment right into the book! ;)