Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Santa Claus: Spoiler Alert!

He knows.

Just shy of 7 (birthday party tomorrow!), he knows.

He demanded I tell him the truth the other day, and I had a hard time doing it. In the car on the way home from somewhere, he told me all the reasons he doesn't think Santa is real. I kept countering with all my ideas about why he is, and we went back and forth.

Finally he mentioned Santa's penguin wrapping paper, to which I countered that I don't use penguin wrapping paper.

But I knew I had my out.

So I said, "Hmm. When we get home, I'll look around and see if I can find any evidence." So I poked about here and there and finally went to the closet where I keep the penguin wrapping paper, hidden inside another role of Christmas wrap. I pick up the outer roll and sure enough, the penguin paper slid out.

After that he pinned me down and made me say it: "There is no Santa!"Mommy Care Bear finally said it for me, but that wasn't enough. I had to say it.

And once I did, I had to say it again a few times, but overall he seems OK with it. He calls me "Santa Claus" from time to time in an accusatory voice, but overall he seems ok. Thank goodness my friend told me she'd told her spectrum son, once he figured it out, that it's fun secret that you have to keep for littler kids.

He hasn't mentioned the Christmas Elf, though. 24 presents in 24 days is too good to mess around with, I guess.

1 comment:

hokgardner said...

We're coming up on that revelation around here with my oldest, who is almost nine. She suspects, but she's trying to believe with all her might. It's going to be a sad day around here when the truth actually comes out. I'm not sure she'll even buy into the scheme of helping keep the secret for the younger siblings.