Wednesday, September 30, 2009

How Do YOU Know It's Fall?

For me it's not a date on the calendar, or back-to-school, or colored leaves.

All those things are duly noted, of course, but what really tells ME fall has arrived is my skin.

I can go weeks during the summer months without putting on my Oil of Olay face cream, and all summer long I only truly need to moisturize the rest of me when I shave my legs or have been in a pool or ocean.

But then comes a day in mid- to late-September when, suddenly, I feel a slight tightening on my face after my shower. Time to moisturize.

Time for fall.

What's your harbinger of fall?

2 comments:

hokgardner said...

We live blocks from a high school with an award winning marching band. I know it's fall-ish when we wake up every morning to the sound of the marching band rehearsing.

I forget about the band all year, but then smile on the first morning when they start playing. I know that cooler weather will soon be on the way.

The first year we lived here, my mom was visiting in the fall. She came out of her room and said, "It's the oddest thing. I could swear I heard a marching band." I reassured her that she wasn't crazy.

Janice said...

Ahh, marching band! That used to be my sign too -- when I was IN the marching band!