Sunday, June 1, 2008

Speed Racer

Over 2 hours, and DuckyBoy was as good as at Cars, maybe even better. The graphics were amazing, and I think he was even able to follow the plot -- enough, anyway.

I was surprised at a couple of "bad words" -- a** is the one I remember. DB hears them from time to time but I didn't like to find them in a predominantly kids movie.

Husband and I enjoyed it also. I looked at my watch twice, which is always my benchmark of the pace of a movie. But this time once was just out of curiosity as to how much time had passed, and the second was because DB was concerned that at a certain point it might be just about over (there was still 20 minutes left).

We were just as happy to have missed most of the previews, though, because that would have clocked us in at over 2 and a half hours in the theater. As it was, the 11:05 showtime meant we all had popcorn and pretzels for breakfast!

This afternoon, DB was grouchy -- as grouchy as he was in the morning, shortly after I got up, when he wanted to play but was just ... too ... bored. So this afternoon I suggested he watch his triops swim around -- we have, like, 7 this time around! -- and wonder of wonders, he did actually find that relaxing. Yay, sometimes my ideas work!

He also wanted to paint a box to look like Mach 6, Speed Racer's car. When I was unable to produce a big enough box for him to sit in, he decided he wanted to repaint The Duck Truck -- an old cardboard apple box from 3 or 4 years ago that's seen a lot of action as The Duck Truck, thanks to me drawing wheels on the sides in crayon way back when. (Plus it has a door cut into one side, since when we first made it he was too small to climb in and out.)



So we did, and it looks great. Two things impressed me -- the length of time he was able to focus on painting one whole side of it; and his willingness to use the beloved Duck Truck for a new, bigger-boy interest.

As Trixie says in the movie, Cool beans!

No comments: