Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Better Here, Worse There

Huh. DuckyBoy has been so delightful the past 2 weekends we've practically been wondering who he is and what he did with the real DB.

And then, and then, his teacher Psssst'ed me at pickup time today. Uh, oh.

"We were wondering ... is anything different?" she asked, "because DB has been really aggressive this week."

She proceeded to explain that it's to the point where he's been hitting -- hitting!?! -- and today, after he was pulled away from a teacher he hit, he kicked the teacher who pulled him off!

And so, Friday he has a date with the principal. Apparently the threat of that alone was enough to make him calm down. I hope she can say something that makes it real how bad this behavior is.

Should I email her to suggest there be a real consequence of some sort, since talking seems to go in one ear and out the other after his initial upset over the words? She knows his diagnosis, but I'd love to help her make sure he gets How.Bad.It.Is to go to the principal's office.

See, she's a really nice lady. And it's elementary school. But still, my kindergartener should not have to go to the principal's office! I'm shaking in my shoes! And when I say to him, "It's really bad to get sent to the principal's office," he says,

"Why?"

Because in his eyes, he gets to have a nice chat with a nice grown-up who listens to him. Probably instead of Writing Workshop or a vigorous OT session or some other part of the day he dislikes.

Maybe he should have to miss recess.

And on another note, can anyone 'splain to me why the teacher has to tell me this at pickup time? What if I didn't pick him up today? Isn't things like this the reason why DB has to drag a composition book around Every.Single.Day, so they can write things like this to me?

And why can't he listen to what she says? If he can't hear it, why don't you write it in the notebook? And also, if he can't hear it, why try to speak to me right as I pick him up? Hello, have you met DuckyBoy? Are you not aware, after the Entire.Flippin.School.Year, that he has Mommy Issues? That he wants my attention for a few minutes when I first see him after school, and he is not going to run off and play while you try to speak to me?

My first-grade Sunday School teacher, who was also a teacher at my school, did that to me once. She wanted to speak to my mother, and made it clear she did not want me to hear what she said. I think the subject had to do with my intelligence.

I remember being confused and sad. What didn't she want me to know? How bad was it that I wasn't allowed to know, even though it was ABOUT ME?

Uh, um, this may be the root of my school-based inferiority issues ...

1 comment:

Sara said...

The Firecracker was three when he first got taken to the principal's office. Three! Like a three-year-old even knows what a principal is...

Good lucky, Ducky Boy! And remember, gentle, gentle, hands to yourself, gentle...